History of Lalitpur

Lalitpur is a district in Uttar Pradesh which is a part of Jhansi Division. Lalitpur is the main town and administrative headquarter that has a geographical area of approximately 5039 Sq. Kms. and has a population of 977,447 as per the census 2001.

Previously, Lalitpur was a part of the Chanderi that was founded in 17th century by a Bundela Rajput who was descended from Rudra Pratap of Orchha. In 18th century Chanderi state along with Bundelkhand came under the leadership of Maratha warriors but was soon annexed by Daulat Rao Sindhia of neighboring Gwalior in 1811. In 1844, the former state of Chanderi was ceded to the British, and became the Chanderi District of British India, with Lalitpur town as the district headquarters. In the revolt of 1857, British lost this district and it was not reconquered until late 1858. In 1861, the portion of the district west of the Betwa, including Chanderi, was returned to Gwalior, and the remainder was renamed Lalitpur District. Lalitpur District was made part of Jhansi District from 1891 to 1974.

Lalitpur finally carved out as a district in the year 1974 which is not only the heartland but also heart-shaped district of Bundelkhand Region. It is joined to Jhansi District of Uttar Pradesh by a narrow corridor to the northeast, but is otherwise almost completely surrounded by Madhya Pradesh state; to the east lies Tikamgarh District, to the south Sagar District, and to the west Ashoknagar and Shivpuri districts.

Lalitpur, Jalaun, and Jhansi districts form Jhansi Division. Jhansi Division is one of 17 divisions of Uttar Pradesh state in northern India. It includes Jhansi, Jalaun, and Lalitpur districts. The city of Jhansi is the administrative center. The division is part of the historic Bundelkhand region, which includes a portion of southern Uttar Pradesh and extends into neighbouring Madhya Pradesh state.Jhansi is one of oldest division of Indian Railways.